Apple Watch users in the UAE and around the world can now enjoy a new way to interact with their devices using just one hand.
The recent watchOS 10.1 update finally brings the much-awaited Double Tap gesture to the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra 2.
How to do use the Double Tap Gesture
This feature allows users to perform the primary action in notifications and most apps by tapping their thumb and index finger together twice.
The Double Tap gesture is powered by the S9 SiP, which is 25% more power efficient than the previous generation, and the new 4-core Neural Engine, which can perform machine learning tasks twice as fast.
The Neural Engine processes data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and optical heart sensor with a new machine-learning algorithm. The algorithm detects the unique signature of tiny wrist movements and changes in blood flow when the index finger and thumb perform a double tap.
- Apple Watch Ultra 2 has landed and is Positioned as the Ultimate Smartwatch for Adventurers
- Best Smartwatches 2023 in UAE
What you can do with Double-Tap
The Double Tap gesture is helpful in common situations when the user’s other hand is occupied, such as when walking the dog, cooking, or holding a cup of coffee. Double tap allows users to select the primary action in a wide variety of watchOS apps and notifications, including:
- Opening the Smart Stack from any watch face and scrolling through widgets in the stack.
- Answering and ending phone calls.
- Viewing a message from a notification, scrolling through longer notifications with an additional double tap, replying using dictation, and sending a message.
- Pausing, resuming, and ending a timer.
- Stopping and resuming a stopwatch.
- Snoozing an alarm.
- Playing and pausing music, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Switching to the new Elevation view in the Compass app.
- Taking an iPhone photo with the Camera Remote in the Camera app.
- Starting or stopping automatic Workout reminders.
- Performing the primary action from notifications, such as replying to an incoming message from a messaging app and snoozing reminders — including from third parties.
The Double Tap gesture works anytime the display is awake, and the feature is available all day long with minimal impact on the 18-hour battery life of your Apple Watch Series 9 or the 36-hour battery life of your Apple Watch Ultra 2.
To enable the Double Tap gesture on your Apple Watch Series 9 or Apple Watch Ultra 2, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Tap Gestures.
- Tap Double Tap, then toggle on the switch next to Double Tap on the next screen.
- If prompted, tap Turn off Accessibility Features at the bottom of the on-screen alert.
- Choose your preferred setting for “Playback” (Play/Pause or Skip) and “Smart Stack” (Open or Scroll).
You can also enable and customize the Double Tap gesture from your iPhone by opening the Watch app and going to My Watch > Gestures > Double Tap.
Other features added in the update
The watchOS 10.1 update also includes NameDrop, a new feature that lets you exchange contact information with someone new by simply bringing your Apple Watch near their iPhone with iOS 17 or Apple Watch.
Additionally, there are several bug fixes and security updates for your Apple Watch.
Are you excited to try this out on your Apple Watch? Let us know how you customized the double-tap feature.
Technology Content Crafter. Helping you unbox the latest in tech trends, especially with laptops and mobile devices. A PC gaming enthusiast who loves to cook and is currently obsessed with sim games and pizza dough.