RIM has released v7.0 of it’s highly popular Instant Messaging service for BlackBerry devices on BlackBerry App World. The biggest feature of the new version is voice chatting- you will now be able to voice chat with your BBM contacts as long as they are also running v7.0 of BBM and both of you are connected to Wi-Fi. This will certainly help BlackBerry users that have generally not been able to use popular VoIP services like Skype or Viber.
Other new features of BBM7 include:
- Multi-tasking with Split-screen feature – Customers can do more while they talk, such as check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call. They can start a call in an instant, and switch between texting and talking, or text and talk at the same time. They can also for example, send a picture to a contact while they are talking with them.
- Clear Visual Indicator – Customers can see when contacts are available for a voice call.
- Convenient Compatibility with Accessories – Customers can use their favorite accessories, such as a Bluetooth or wired headset, or use the BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- 16 New Emoticons – Available in the final software released today, customers will see a slate of new emoticons offer them fresh, fun ways to express themselves in text chats.
- Direct BBM Update Notification – BBM will now notify a customer when there is an update from within the app, and allow them to download it immediately from inside the app.
- Simple BlackBerry ID Synchronization – A customer’s BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are now linked to their BBID for easy backup and restore. The data will also carry over when they move to BlackBerry 10.
BBM 7.0 should be available soon in the UAE BlackBerry App World as it is going through final stages of verification.