During last week Cadillac launched their new flagship luxury sedan, the XTS. Competing with the likes of the BMW 7 series, Audi A8 and the Mercedes S-class, the Cadillac XTS comes with a spacious interior and a myriad of gadgets to keep even the most enthusiast techie happy for any length of journey. The customizable 12.3-inch gauge cluster display provides a truly unique user experience.
Powered with a 3.6-liter V6 producing 304 hp and 355Nm torque, the LFX engine is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic transmission with tap-shift control. The all-wheel drive system with electronic LSD along with magnetic ride control keeps the ride firm, yet smooth.
Available at AED/ SAR 275,000 the new Cadillac XTS luxury sedan is available in showrooms.
ALL-NEW 2013 CADILLAC XTS REDEFINES LUXURY WITH TECHNOLOGY
The all-new 2013 Cadillac XTS luxury sedan, the most technologically advanced production car in the brand’s history, expands and elevates the Cadillac portfolio. It delivers the space, elegance and dramatic presence that are Cadillac signatures, but with entirely new and technically advanced methods tuned for a new generation of luxury customers.
XTS marks the debut of CUE, Cadillac’s breakthrough in-vehicle user experience for control and connectivity. It merges intuitive design with auto industry-first controls for information and media control.
The XTS is only offered in the Middle East with a fully equipped Platinum collection which represents the highest level of technology and luxury, including a unique front appearance, wheels and interior colors, materials and trim.
- Direct-injected 3.6L V-6 with lightweight features, including integrated cylinder heads/exhaust manifolds
- Advanced all-wheel-drive system with electronically controlled limited-slip differential
- Magnetic Ride Control, rear air suspension, HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo brakes – all standard
- Standard 20-inch wheels
- Capless fuel tank filler for easier, cleaner refueling
- Folding rear-seat head restraints that enhance rear visibility
- Safety Alert Seat that vibrates to alert the driver
- Intervening braking system that lessens or avoids potential collisions
- Short- and long-range radar systems that support adaptive cruise control, front/rear automatic brakes and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
XTS is the only luxury sedan with standard Magnetic Ride Control – the world’s fastest-reacting suspension – while the advanced all-wheel-drive system uses Haldex technology with an electronic limited slip differential to transfer power front-to-back, and side-to-side along the rear axle.
The XTS is also the most spacious Cadillac sedan, tailored to provide roominess in a more efficiently sized package. It offers more interior space than midsize luxury cars and is comparable to full-size sedans, particularly in the rear seat area, where it has 1,016 mm of rear legroom.
And when it comes to trunk space, the XTS is in a league of its own, with 509 Liter, exceeding both midsize and full-size competitors. For XTS customers, the cargo advantage means room for five or more suitcases.
Cadillac CUE is standard. It is the highly customizable user interface that exemplifies XTS’s blend of advanced technology and artistic design. The heart of CUE, which stands for Cadillac User Experience, is the standard eight-inch (203 mm) screen in the center stack, the faceplate below the screen and the steering wheel controls. CUE features several industry firsts, including capacitive-touch control with proximity sensing and haptic feedback. Capacitive touch is the technology featured on many of the best tablets and smartphones.
Available exclusively on the XTS is a 12.3-inch (312 mm) reconfigurable instrument cluster. It features vibrant graphic displays showcased among four driver-selectable themes, ranging from minimal to extensive information. And while it is the prominent element in the XTS’s technological character, CUE is part of a more comprehensive and layered approach to the car’s design, capabilities and performance.
A new CUE iPad Application, which replicates the center screen that is the hub of the system, is being used to familiarize dealers with the experience, as well as provide videos and information. This App is now opened to the public via the App Store.
XTS design and exterior features
XTS’s hardware and spatial dimensions are the foundational layers that support a new level of surface detail. Multidimensional elements, including the grille, headlamps and new use of accent lighting, coalesce to give the XTS a presence and attention to detail unlike any Cadillac that has come before it.
The XTS’s surface details also convey a more-nuanced design philosophy, with elements that support the long, sleek proportion that is a welcome return to Cadillac. They bring forward more beauty and elegance with refined, graceful forms and surfaces working harmoniously with established Cadillac linear forms. It is a car that conveys the next step in Cadillac form and surface vocabulary. Additional features include:
- Premium chrome/satin-chrome grille finish
- Illuminating door handles
- Capless fuel-filling system that automatically locks with the door locks
- Xenon high-intensity discharge headlamps with Twilight Sentinel
- Adaptive Forward Lighting
- LED backup and center high-mounted rear stop lamps
- Heated outside mirrors with auto-dimming feature, turn-signal indicators and puddle lamps
- Rainsense automatic windshield
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels with polished finish and chrome inserts
- Eight exterior color choices: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Graphite Metallic, Black Diamond Tricoat, Silver Coast Metallic and Sapphire Blue Metallic.
XTS interior features
Like the exterior, the XTS’s cabin extolls a multidimensional philosophy in a bold, elegant design that is also very efficient in the ways it encompasses passengers and cargo. It represents Cadillac’s new expression of luxury at Cadillac also in its use of authentic materials and unprecedented connectivity. XTS Platinum feature a fully wrapped leather interior with micro-fiber sueded headliner, as well as premium wood trim on the steering wheel, console, center stack, instrument panel and door panels.
Seating trim is offered with Opus full leather with perforated detailing. Heated and ventilated seats are also offered. Additional interior features include:
- Adaptive remote start
- Bose Studio Surround Sound with 14-speaker system with energy-efficient amplifier
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Leather-wrapped center console
- Color, reconfigurable 12.3-inch gauge cluster with driver information
- Head-Up Display with color readouts
- Illuminated entry and courtesy lighting
- Accent lighting, including LED spotlights with light pipes
- Opus full-leather seat trim with mini-perforated inserts
- Heated driver/front passenger and outboard rear passenger seats and vented driver/front passenger seats
- Leather-accented steering wheel with wood accents and tap up/tap down transmission controls is standard
- Heated steering wheel
- Power rear window shade and manual rear side window shades
- Real wood trim is incorporated
- Six interior color/trim combinations: Jet Black, Shale with Cocoa accents, Medium Titanium with Jet Black accents, Caramel with Jet Black accents, Jet Black with Light Wheat accents and Very Light Platinum with Dark Urban and Cocoa accents.
Power for the XTS comes from an advanced 3.6L V-6 known by its “LFX” engine code. It is rated at 304 horsepower and 355 Nm of torque. Lightweight features help reduce overall weight for greater efficiency and a more favorable front-to-rear weight balance. Examples include a composite intake manifold that saves approximately 2.5 kg over the weight of a comparable aluminum intake and an integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design that saves approximately 6 kg per engine.
The LFX engine is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic transmission with tap-shift control.
XTS driving experience
A layered approach to the driving experience relies on new and established technologies – all rooted in a stiff structure. The body is infused with strategically placed, ultra-high-strength steel for strength and crash protection, and serves as the foundation for the advanced chassis system.
A smart all-wheel-drive system with Haldex technology – with an electronic limited-slip differential that splits torque between the rear wheels – complements an advanced HiPer Strut front suspension and standard Magnetic Ride Control real-time damping to give the XTS sure-footed, confident and comfortable ride and handling traits. A linked H-arm design with “air springs” comprises the rear suspension.
HiPer Strut is based on the MacPherson strut front suspension design and features dual-path top mountings that separate the transfer of spring and damper loads to the body structure. It improves ride-and-handling characteristics in four significant ways:
- Provides more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control
- Improves impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces
- Reduces torque steer
- Improves vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel imbalance
Magnetic Ride Control delivers precise body motion control – “reading” the road every millisecond and changing damping in just five milliseconds. It replaces conventional mechanical-valve shocks with electronically controlled shocks filled with a magneto-rheological fluid containing minute iron particles. Under the presence of magnetic charge, the iron particles align to provide damping resistance almost instantly.
StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard, along with variable-effort steering and four-wheel disc brakes (front Brembo brakes) with four-channel antilock brakes – all features that add important layers of control to the driving experience. Like Magnetic Ride Control, XTS borrows the Brembo braking technology from Cadillac’s V-Series of high-performance models.
The XTS’s technology fundamentally supports a range of advanced safety features, based on a “control and alert” strategy that extends the vision around the vehicle. It helps drivers identify potential crash situations and even intervenes when a crash threat appears more imminent, employing visual, audible and tactile (vibration) alerts, depending on the feature.
The alerts are designed to identify obstacles with sufficient warning to give the driver time to react and make changes – including the Safety Alert Seat feature, which vibrates either the left or right side of the driver’s seat cushion, depending on the location of the impending concern. The intervening features, including Automatic Collision Preparation and front and rear automatic brakes, take over if the threat appears more immediate or the driver does not react to previous alerts.
The Driver Awareness Package is standard on the XTS Platinum. It includes:
- Lane Departure Warning
- Forward Collision Alert
- Safety Alert Seat
- Side Blind Zone Alert
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Reflected LED display
The Driver Assist Package will be available this winter. It includes:
- The Driver Awareness Package
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Front Automatic Brake
- Rear Automatic Brake
- Automatic Collision Preparation
Additional safety features include dual-stage frontal air bags, knee air bags, side-impact air bags, head-curtain air bags and seat side-impact air bags for outboard rear passengers. Also, a rearview camera with dynamic guidelines is standard on the XTS Platinum. Head-up display and full-speed adaptive cruise control are standard.