It’s thinner, faster, bigger and doesn’t like your old accessories. Well, sort of.
As expected, Apple today announced the iPhone 5 at a special press conference in California.
I won’t bore you with paragraphs, instead will get to the point in neat stacks of bullet points. Here are the details:
- - It’s still called the iPhone 5, thankfully – no ‘new’ iPhone spin here.
- - It’s 7.6mm thick, 18% slimmer than 4S, and weighs 112g (which is 20% lighter than 4S)
- - It’s entirely made out of aluminium.
- - Screen size is bigger at 4″ with 16:9 aspect ratio. Resolution is 640×1136, and before you freak out, yup it’s still the good old Retina display. Only now with 44% more color saturation.
- - iPhone 5 will sport a brand new A6 chipset. Apple says it’s double CPU and GPU performance of the 4S. The A6 is also 22% smaller than A5.
- - The A6 is capable of console-level graphics and Apple had a demo to drive the point home.
- - Camera is still the same at 8MP. It’s got a BSI sensor, F/2.4 aperture and a sapphire crystal protecting. Apple says the camera will take better low-light shots thanks to a next-gen ISP.
- - Clicking photos will be 40% faster.
- - It will also be able to take panorama shots in whopping 28MP images.
- - As for video recording, it’s at 1080p, but with better video stabilization and face detection.
- - The front camera has also been updated to 720p.
- - In terms of connectivity, it will have HSPA+, DC-HSDPA, and LTE. WiFi supports a/b/g/n and can take up to 150mbps speeds.
- - As rumored, the connector has been changed. It’s 8-pin and 80% smaller. It’s also reversible, so no more guessing which side is up. For compatibility with older cables, there’s a converter.
- - It will come in black and white (shocker!)
- - The pricing is usual – $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB on contract
- - Pre-orders in the US starts on Friday. iPhone 5 ships on September 21st.
- - No, Middle East is not one of the countries that will get the first shipment. Maybe the second one? That’s on September 28.
Do you like the new iPhone? Let us know in the comments below!