Phone was originally exposed to microwave energy.
A few weeks back a forum user posted that his brand new Samsung Galaxy SIII had decided to combust and burn through its plastic casing. Samsung of course, immediately asked for the phone to be sent over so they could conduct a more in-depth investigation.
Well, the jury is finally out – it seems that the phone in question was actually tampered with, and supposedly microwaved at some point.
In a blog post today Samsung posted that after thorough investigations by Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), it was found that an external energy source had been applied to the device which damaged the phone, causing it to combust. The same forum user then posted later in the forums that “I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake. I am unable to comment any further.”
So rest assured, you can safely slip your SIII into your jeans pocket.