Samsung smartens up your living room.
Samsung first launched its Smart TV in 2007, although then it was know then as “Internet TV”, and the Smart TV has gone a long way since then, as evident from their 2012 lineup of the Smart TV. We were fortunate to attend the launch of the 2012 Smart TV lineup in Dubai Mall, in an event that included a sci fi inspire presentations, flash mobs, a dance troupe, and of course, the almight Smart TV as the centre of the show.
To the uninitiated, Samsung’s Smart TV features the functionalities you’d expect from any “smart” device. It has internet connectivity, app support, web browsing support and social networking (you can Skype on your TV! think about the possibilities!). In addition to that, you can use your Samsung Phone and/or your Samsung Tablet to use a second screen to control the Television.
The 2012 Smart TV range includes the ES8000 series, which is available in 46 inch and 55 inch models, and the ES7500 series, which comes in 40 inch, 46 inch and 55 inch flavors. The ES series comes with advanced display technology that offer great 2D and 3D viewing experiences, Flash Player 10.2, a 55mm bezel, Micro Dimming Ultimate and dual-core processors that ensure the television is up to speed in all tasks. The Smart TV brings with it the following major features:
- Smart Interaction: The platform through which you interact with your Television includes Motion controls, Voice controls, and Face recognition. Through motion controls, you can use gestures to navigate your television, and clench your fist to “select”. You also “talk” to your television to have it switch channels, change volumes, or go to a specific channel. Samrt TV recognizes 26 languages, including Arabic.
- Smart Content: The Smart TV delivers content catered to your own tastes and preferences through Smart TV Apps, Family Story, Fitness, and Kids.
- Smart Evolution: The Smart TV update system is defined by the Samsung Evolution kit, where every year the Smart TV range will upgraded using the Evolution kit.
In addition to its host of features, the Smart TV also provides a range of services that make most of technology’s role in home entertainment.
- Family Story: Samsung Smart TV offers a cloud service through which users can share images, videos and images through the virtual bulletin board. Family Story is accessible through various Samsung devices and computers
- Fitness: Televisions don’t have to be synonymous with “couch potato”, as the Smart TV offers users a great solution to stay healthy and fit. The television creates a virtual mirror through a built-in camera, where users can monitor their exercise routine on their television.
- Kids: Smart TV offers a wide range of edutainment and games for children, coupled with a kid-friendly interface that parents can monitor.
The 2012 lineup of the Samsung Smart TV is available in all major electronic retailers, with the prices ranging from AED 6,599 to AED 12,999.