Panasonic makes its mark with a slim, stylish and waterproof smartphone.
Panasonic are set to make heads turn with its latest smartphone announcement, dubbed the ELUGA. The phone sports a slim appearance and weighs in at just 103g, in addition to being waterproof and sporting a rather impressive 8MP camera and screen. While we’ve had plenty of Android smartphones come into the market, Panasonic proudly states that the ELUGA will not “ruin the line of clothes” – i.e. it’s slim enough to go unnoticed in your pocket.
Hamburg, Germany (21 February 2012). Panasonic’s European CEO, Laurent Abadie, has revealed the company’s plans to bring its range of global smartphones to the European market – as well as its launch device – at Panasonic’s annual convention in Hamburg. Abadie outlined a target of 1.5 million handset sales in Europe in the next fiscal year (1 April 2012 to 31 March 2013), as part of the recently stated expectations for growth in the company’s global mobile phone business to 15 million units by end of fiscal year 2015 which ends in March 31, 2016.
“Panasonic is one of the leading suppliers of mobile phones to the Japanese market. As consumer demand for mobile phones – especially smartphones – continues to grow and mature in Europe, we believe the market lacks a range of phones that successfully mixes beauty, high-quality engineering, and the most advanced lifestyle-enhancing technologies,” said Abadie.
Toshiya Matsumura, General Manager, Head of Mobile Communications, Panasonic System Communications Europe, added: “The strength of our global brand and our ability to provide our customers with devices that enable fully connected lifestyles – including the work we’re doing that brings mobile connectivity and consumer electronics together in the home – means we’re confident that the launch of our smartphone business in Europe will be a huge success.”
At Panasonic’s convention, Abadie launched the ELUGA, an ultra-slim, waterproof and dustproof Android smartphone that contains NFC technology, one of the largest screen-to-phone ratios on the European market, and ‘Swipe and Share’ technology that works with the company’s range of VIERA televisions. At just 103 grams, the Panasonic ELUGA is also one of the lightest Android smartphones in Europe.
ELUGA – stemming from the phrase ‘elegant user-oriented gateway’ – is the launch model for Panasonic’s range of devices designed to be ultra-thin but pack in high-end technology for demanding consumers. Features of the launch model include:
- A super thin frame and 4.3-inch large QHD (960×540) screen with exceptional viewing quality. The ultra-slim D shaped design slips easily into a pocket without spoiling the line of clothes.
- Being dust protected to IP5X and waterproof to IPX7 means the device is extremely hardy, including the ability to still work after immersion in water for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 metre.
- Near-field communication (NFC) technology means the phone is ready for ‘no touch’ interactions, including contactless payments.
- The Swipe and Share feature enables users to wirelessly ‘throw’ pictures from the phone to TV or cloud services, or stream movies from the phone to a TV. The phone also works as a remote control for other electronic devices in the home (such as a VIERA TV, DIGA Blu-ray player and recorder, home cinema system, or digital still camera).
- The range will also feature ‘eco mode’, Panasonic’s unique power-saving technology which provides significant environmental benefit by shutting down non-essential features when the phone is running low on battery power.
“We will continue to use our global resources, including our R&D sites in Japan and the UK, to promote the ongoing development of our products and our commitment to the fusion between high-level mobile communications technology and advanced audio-visual technology, all the while responding to our users’ needs,” commented Matsumura.