ET1 based on Android, built with durability and security in mind.
Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers, today unveiled the ET1 tablet, the first in an emerging category of enterprise-class tablet computers designed for a variety of vertical markets. The ET1 brings the familiarity and popularity of a consumer-class user experience to a true enterprise-class device that includes enhanced durability, an optional barcode scanner and magnetic stripe reader, hot-swappable battery packs, and secure system software. Key industrial-strength accessories such as secure multi-slot recharging stations are also available.
Intended for demanding day-long use, the Wi-Fi-enabled ET1 is password-protected so it can be easily shared and instantly provisioned for each employee according to his or her level of responsibility and access rights. Based on log-in information, managers can automatically control and monitor use of approved applications to help ensure on-the-job productivity is not compromised.
ET1 Key Facts:
• Retailers can seamlessly and securely run a variety of applications developed by Motorola’s extensive partner and independent software vendor (ISV) community, including:
• Assisted selling
• Mobile point of sale (mPOS)
• Manager electronic dashboards
• Planogram management and compliance
• Item locator
• Running an enterprise-ready hardened version of the Android operating system, the ET1 tablet is designed to be used 24 x 7 by multiple staff members.
• Supported by Motorola’s portfolio of enterprise-grade software modules including RhoElements, a new HTML5 application enablement framework, businesses can now quickly and cost-effectively develop enterprise applications once and deploy them on both traditional Windows Embedded Handheld™ and Android-based Motorola devices, allowing for consistent user experiences.
• The ET1 incorporates a durable Gorilla Glass™ 7-inch color display, designed for customer-facing applications containing video and images. In addition, the screen bezel can be customized to match the retailer’s brand.
• Motorola’s ET1 tablet offers a comprehensive suite of enterprise-class features and accessories including:
• Durable design to withstand multiple bumps and drops during a workday
• Optional integrated bar code scanner and magnetic stripe reader
• Hot-swappable rechargeable battery pack, with memory back-up battery to retain RAM data for up to 15 minutes when the main battery is removed
• Single- and multi-slot tablet and battery chargers
• Front- and rear-facing cameras
• Availability of Bluetooth-connected handheld bar-code scanners, mobile-payment readers and mobile printers
• Optional hand strap for comfortable full-shift handling
• The ET1 tablet will be available with Motorola’s Service from the Start with Comprehensive Coverage program, providing coverage for normal wear and tear as well as accidental damage to internal and external components, significantly reducing unforeseen repair expenses.
• Motorola Solutions’ ET1 tablet will be available in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Girish Rishi, corporate vice president and general manager of mobile computing, Motorola Solutions
“As a mobile computing leader with expertise in retail, Motorola Solutions’ introduction of the ET1 tablet is a natural extension to our product portfolio. The ET1 will enable store associates to leverage the sleek design and user experience of a tablet with the applications, durability, security, device management and lifecycle support that retailers require. The tablet’s robust feature set also will meet the critical needs of mobile workers in other enterprise sectors such as manufacturing and logistics.”