And you were worried about Facebook’s lack of privacy?
Findpeopleonplus.com is going to be the new hotspot for would-be stalkers and anybody else who just wants to easily browse the profiles of pretty much everybody on Google+ right now.
Basically findpeopleonplus.com provides an index of almost 950k people on Google+ with some extremely easy categories to browse in. Knowing the target audience of people most likely to use this website, Google has very smartly placed the first categories as the “Relationship” status, followed by “Gender” and then “Looking For”.
I guess the idea is obviously to help create a larger social network where it’s easy for people to discover others, especially in the “Discover” tab which allows you to look at a whole circle, or category in this case, of some of the top professions.
So coming back to stalking, in your profile there are a whole lot of things that you can individually set for people within your circles, extended circles or everybody else to see. You can custom mix & match fields to be shown in your profile, similar to Facebook. Know that by default everything on your profile will be visible to “Anyone on the Web”, and your Google+ profile will also come up in a search result of your name on Google.
And now for the fun part; the categories I mentioned earlier is your doorway to see everybody who’s on Google+ in your country, by the relationship status or gender, even by their occupation. So while it’s quite a popularity contest, of sorts, when you see results in every category listed by the number of followers that person has, it soon becomes irrelevant. You can see everyone. Click on their name and see their recent posts, and obviously check out their profile, photos and albums (which they haven’t made private) and Buzz streams (mostly from Twitter).
In all honesty, I can’t blame Google for anything because they’re just here to create another social network that takes advantage of their existing infrastructure so people can connect with each other in an admittedly more natural and controlled way. As usual, it’s up to us as individuals as to how much info we put out on the web and then deal with the consequences.
Now it’s time for some interesting stats:
- - 73% of the population of Google+ are males (with almost 700k users); 24% females.
- - Engineers are the most users of Google+ having a 25% share of the pie.
- - US has 50% of the share of Google+ users, India coming in 2nd with almost 6%.
- - Palestine is the 1st Arab country to appear on Google+ list with 877 indexed users, ranked at 47.
- - UAE is ranked 48th with 805 indexed users.
- - 88% of Google+ users in UAE are male; 11% female.
- - Once again Engineers seem to be the majority of Google+ users, coming in at the top of the “Occupation” list with 11%
- - 84% of all Google+ users worldwide are on Twitter.
- - 89% of Google+ users apparently do not have a Facebook account.
- - Larry Page (Google’s CEO) has almost 62k followers, making him the 2nd most popular person on Google+.
- - Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook’s CEO) has almost 111k followers.
Now go ahead, find out
who else is on Google+.