Sample: More than one billion tweets are sent per week.
Everyone’s favorite micro-blogging site, Twitter, is soon going to turn five, and in that occasion, the company has decided to delight us with some mind boggling statistics.
In a blog post, Twitter’s Carolyn Penner said that Twitter, “on every measure of growth and engagement,” is growing at “record pace”. She quickly backs that up with some stats:
- Over one billion tweets are sent every week, an achievement the site took 3yrs, 2 months and 1 day to reach from the first tweet to the billionth one.
- One year ago, Twitter accounted 50 million tweets sent per day. Now, the figure has ballooned to 140 million.
- 117 million tweets were sent on March 11, 2011 alone.
- Current ‘tweet per second’ record stands at 6,939, set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year’s eve. The record far surpassed previous record of 456 TPS when the world came to know Michael Jackson’s death on June 25, 2009.
- 572, 000 new accounts were created on March 12, 2011; 460, 000 accounts were created per day over the last month.
- The site registered 182% increase in mobile users over the past year.
- Twitter began with just 8 employees in 2008, and now has 400 minions working today.
Seriously outstanding numbers. It’s surprising Twitter is still not making much money.