Blackberry Protect will provide users with remote swipe and lock device access, cloud data backup.
RIM yesterday announced a new security application for its Blackberry devices called Blackberry Protect. The new tool will allow users to quickly and wirelessly backup, restore and locate their Blackberry smartphone.
Blackberry Protect does not require an account with Blackberry Enterprise Server and will allow customers to (thanks, BGR!):
- Protect important information on a lost BlackBerry smartphone by remotely wiping or locking the device from your desktop
- Remotely add contact information to the home screen of a locked BlackBerry smartphone so it can be returned if found
- See your BlackBerry smartphone’s location and pinpoint the current whereabouts of a lost or stolen device with cell tower and GPS device tracking
- Find a nearby misplaced BlackBerry smartphone by remotely activating a loud ringer
- Back up data from your BlackBerry smartphone (including Contacts and Calendar; Memos and Tasks; Browser Bookmarks and Text Messages) over Wi-Fi
- Restore your data to a new BlackBerry smartphone, or simply switch from one BlackBerry smartphone to another
Source: Blackberry Blog, BGR