Packs in tabbed emailing, faster search index, new migration assistant.
A new version of Mozilla’s open source email client, Thunderbird, is now available. Thunderbird 3.1 brings along a host of new features placing itself in a competing position against Microsoft Outlook and Opera M2.
The new Thunderbird offers a new migration assistant wizard that helps users move easily across from existing clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail, making importing emails, address books and settings quick and efficient.
Mozilla has made it easier to add and manage extensions with the refined Add-ons Manager. Users can now install extensions straight from the manager itself.
The complicated steps up for setting up an email account has been done away for a new setup wizard that only requires your username and password while it automatically adjust server settings.
Mozilla has also implemented tabbed browsing, a new attachment checker that alerts if you forget to add an attachment, quick filters, faster search results and other stability and memory upgrades. Check out the full list of changelog below:
Thunderbird 3.1 is based on the Gecko 1.9.2 platform to provide improved performance, stability, web compatibility, and code simplification and sustainability.
New features include:
Faster Search Results and Quick Filter Toolbar
- Faster Search ResultsMessage indexing is faster and provides users with faster search results.
- Quick Filter ToolbarNew Quick Filter Toolbar lets you filter against search terms, tags, starred messages, address book contacts, new emails, and attachments.
User Experience Improvements
- New Migration AssistantThe new Migration Assistant gives Thunderbird 2 users a way to choose the new features in Thunderbird 3.1 or to keep their current features and settings.
- Saved Files ManagerNew Saved Files Manager displays all the files you downloaded from your email to your computer.
- Mail Account Setup WizardHundreds of ISP settings have been added to make setting up Thunderbird easier. The Mail Account Setup Wizard matches against a database of email settings from popular mail providers so that you will only need to provide your name, email, and password to set up new mail accounts.
- Improvements to Stability, Memory, and Password Handling
You can download Thunderbird 3.1 from here.