Opera Mini was only launched on the iPhone a few week ago.
It is evidently clear: iPhone users really badly wanted an alternate browser. Opera Mini on the iPhone, launched only a few weeks ago, has gained more users than the Blackberry and has taken the top spot as the device with the most Opera Mini users in the US (measured by number of installs).
Based on Opera’s State of the Mobile Web report, iPhone users were hungry for some choice. Here’s what Opera says:
- Following the launch of the iPhone in mid-April, this report, we preview some of the initial data from Opera Mini’s release on the iPhone. These preliminary numbers will be reviewed in greater depth when we publish April’s numbers next month.
- The Apple iPhone is currently the #3 device used by Opera Mini users worldwide. All the other top 20 devices are Nokia and Sony Ericsson handsets.
- The Apple iPhone is currently the #1 device used by Opera Mini users in the United States, well ahead of BlackBerry (which previously occupied the top spot).
- Next month’s top 10 countries may be in for a change. By mid-April, due to the iPhone launch, the United States jumped from #8 to #5 in the top 10 countries list.
- Out of the top 10 countries according to Opera Mini usage, the United States and the United Kingdom are the two countries where the Apple iPhone has become the #1 device used by Opera Mini users. Beyond the top 10 countries, Australia, Korea, Canada, Germany and Japan are other examples of places where the iPhone has become the device of choice for Opera Mini users.
Having used Opera Mini extensively on both dumb and smart phones, i would say that’s a wise choice from Apple-ers.
Feel like giving it try? Download Opera Mini for your iPhone here.