Need for Speed Celebrates 100m Units Sold Milestone
Electronic Arts’ popular franchise races pass the 100m units mark.
Electronic Arts proudly announced yesterday that their extremely popular Need for Speed franchise has surpassed 100 million units sold life to date. The sales of the newest entrant, Need for Speed: Shift helped push the mark, making it the highest selling racing brand game in video game history, with over $2.7 billion of total revenues.
“Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100M units mark, so this is a huge honor. We have millions of fans to thank for driving us to this milestone,” said Frank Gibeau, president, EA Games Label. “With the launch of Need for Speed SHIFT and the upcoming release of Need for Speed NITRO, we hope to continue to deliver the most entertaining, action-packed racing experiences.”
Since the release of Need for Speed in 1994, the franchise has…
• Launched 15 blockbuster titles across more than 14 platforms
• Released in 22 languages in over 60 countries
• Players have raced over 279 billion miles of roads & race tracks
• Generated over 17 trillion user-generated vehicle customizations
• Featured actors, models & musicians including: Brooke Burke (Wild On), Christina Milian (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past), Emmanuelle Vaugier (Two and a Half Men), Josie Maran (Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and actress), Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III), Kanye West, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Prodigy
• Debuted exclusive remix from Snoop Dogg of The Door’s classic song Riders on the Storm
• Sold more games than all new passenger cars sales in the U.S since 1994**
• If Need for Speed boxes were laid out end-to-end, it would span 173,609 football fields
• 100M units represents nearly every household in the United States and is 3x the population of Canada
Regardless of the shoddy titles in the recent past, NFS games gave us plenty of ‘good times’ with our friends and family, and so, cheers to that!
- Contact (0)