The Last of Us story and gameplay detailed, online confirmed
Info pours in from the GameInformer preview.
The awaited ‘The Last of Us’ GameInformer issue has hit stands, and as usual, the blokes at NeoGAF has creamed the article of all the details and put it up on the Internets.
All the important bits are neatly shuffled in the bullet-points below. We have left the story descriptions out of it, for which you can head over to official thread to read.
- The game appears to be melee heavy, with objects like bricks and wood planks available at disposal. As it is known, bullets are scarce, but they are powerful enough to kill enemies in one shot.
- Fights can get ‘bloody’, such as in one sequence an enemy is shown sputtering blood after something bad happens with his throat and a piece of glass.
- There is a lot of swearing during combat. Works like “m****f**kers”, “f*ck”, “f*ck face” are thrown liberally, especially by Ellie, which comes as a total surprise.
- The story is “self-contained”, as in it doesn’t have ambitions of turning into a franchise. Naughty Dog is taking one game at a time.
- The AI will use a “balance of power” system, where enemies will stay in cover if you have a gun, but rush at you and overwhelm you if you have a melee weapon. They also react to “events”: they will get angry if their friends die, warn each other of danger, get scared, etc.
- Ellie’s AI is also one of the main focus. She will play an integral part in combat and help Joel out in sticky situations. She won’t be an ‘escort mission’ character.
- The game does away with auto-regen of health and instead uses health packs. Also unlike most games, it takes a while to use the health packs. This was done to encourage players to avoid direct confrontation.
- Like Uncharted, there will be platforming and puzzle solving. But it will be more realistic – so no wild jumpings, no hanging off an aeroplane, and all that.
- There are Humans and Infected, but the main focus are the Humans, whom the player will be up against most of the time.
- Not all humans will be hostile, though.
- There will be an online mode. Details haven’t been nailed in yet but it is definitely happening. We’re going to have some sort of online component,” director Bruce Straley said. “we’re working on a bunch of ideas, but we haven’t nailed anything down. We definitely know it’s going to be awesome.”
GameInformer says the game is scheduled for “Late 2012″, however Sony has called it speculation. It will be out on PS3 exclusively.
- Contact (0)