E3 ’11 EXCLUSIVE: First Mass Effect 3 multiplayer details
We have got exclusive details on the RPG’s yet-to-be announced multiplayer mode.
BioWare has so far been mum about the multiplayer details for Mass Effect 3, with not even a hint at today’s E3 presentation. However, our secret source today confirmed during wee hours of the first day of E3 that the action-RPG is all set to have a full-fledged multiplayer campaign, which will be unveiled near the end of the year.
Additionally, our source also detailed some parts of the multiplayer campaign. Here’s what we’ve been told:
- The game will feature a Horde style multiplayer mode with “crap loads” of maps.
- It will also have the regular modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.
- The Horde mode will have objectives like Capture The Flag, King of the Hill, and simple shoot-to-kill ‘waves’ as well.
- Up to four players can play cooperatively in the Horde mode.
- Maps are “fairly small” but well designed.
- Players can choose from 6 different classes, or use a prebuilt one’s. Our source didn’t confirm what those classes were, but we reckon all those from ME2 will be present.
- There will be a level cap of 60.
- Some of the enemies were confirmed as well: Geth, Marauders, Husks, and a new enemy type called Brutes. The source described them as insanely “huge ass”.
- The game will also feature a ‘multiplayer store’. The store will carry upgrades for weapons, etc. and other items.
- Players will be able to buy said upgrades and items by earning in-game money based on their performance in the multiplayer. Our source wasn’t sure if the in-game money can be earned via the single player campaign as well, “but I doubt it. Seems like the (singleplayer and multiplayer) modes will be separate.”
The multiplayer is still in its early stages and “needs a lot of work.”
BioWare announced today that Mass Effect 3 will release on March 6, 2012 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Expect more multiplayer details as the year rolls by.